Here are possible topics for our discussion of Leave No Trace on M. Feel free to make additional suggestions or to start the conversation here.
- Establishment of setting in the opening shots.
- A related issue is the use of light and color.
- Use of props to develop character.
- Action and performance, particularly in terms of how Ben Foster and Thomasin McKenzie use their faces and bodies to communicate their place in the world.
- Based on what we are shown in the first act of the film, what do you think we are supposed to think about how Will (Dad) and Tom live? How do you think these feelings are meant to change as the film progresses? Who did you identify with more, Dad or Tom? Why? Or is this a false choice? What did the filmmakers show you that persuaded you to feel this way?